Sunday, November 9, 2008

ALL ABOARD!!!!

As self-appointed President of the unofficial Atlanta Hawks Fan Club, I have an announcement to make. YOU HAVE UNTIL DECEMBER 10TH TO GET ON THE HAWKS BAND WAGON before it leaves the station. On December 10th the Hawks will have played 20 games, which approximately ¼ the of the season, and once we reach that point, I WILL BE CLOSING THE DOORS OF THE BANDWAGON, AND NO ONE, AND I MEAN NO ONE ELSE WILL BE ALLOWED TO GET ON!!!!

Some of you may be reading this and wondering why in the world would anyone restrict the Hawks bandwagon. I mean over the last couple of years they have been a team that couldn’t even half fill their arena on a nightly basis. One would think, that they would take all of the fans that could get, no matter if they are true fans or bandwagon fans that are simply along for the ride. However things have changed, and as the only person who has been a dedicated Hawks fan throughout this entire prolonged and excruciatingly slow rebuilding process, I REFUSE TO ALLOW PEOPLE TO JUST TAG ALONG FOR THE SPECIAL PLAYOFF RUN THAT AWAITS US AFTER THE REGULAR SEASON!!!! For those of you that have been living under a rock for the past twelve days and not paying attention to the most important team in the NBA, I will fill you in on what you missed. THE HAWKS ARE 4 – 0!!!! Not only are they 4 – 0, but their four wins are all over teams that made the playoffs last year and have a good chance to make the playoffs this year. To date, they have defeated the Orlando Magic (the defending Southeast Division champions), the Philadelphia 76er’s (playoff team from a year, who added Elton Brand this off-season), the New Orleans Hornets (2nd best team in the Western Conference a year ago, and also feature Chris Paul the best point guard in the NBA), and the Toronto Raptors (starring Chris Bosh and Jermaine O’Neal). This proves that this team is no fluke.

It’s amazing that although they currently have the best record in the Eastern Conference and is tied for the best record in the NBA, this is still a team that only gets 10 second highlight packages and brief mentions on Sportscenter. In case you haven’t noticed, this team has the third best starting lineup in the Eastern Conference. That’s right, I said third best in the Eastern Conference. The Hawks lineup consisting of Joe Johnson (simply amazing), Mike Bibby (the much needed point guard), Josh Smith (the ultimate stat-stuffer), Al Horford (an absolute beast), and Marvin Williams (good player, but wrong draft pick) is only behind defending champion Boston, and the new look Detroit Pistons (featuring Allen Iverson). The bench is even pretty good. When you look at the contributions being made by the likes of Zaza Pachulia, Acie Law, Flip Murray, and Maurice Evans, you have to be amazed. THIS IS A COMPLETE TEAM, AND THEY ARE THE TRUTH!!!!

The Hawks went into the off-season riding high off of their shocking playoff appearance of last season. They seemed to lose some of that momentum when Josh Childress elected to sign with Olympiacos of the Euroleague for much more money than the Hawks offered. Although I still believe that the Hawks made a huge mistake by not signing Josh Childress, the combination of Acie Law and Maurice Evans has been able to minimize the loss. Childress was by far the most versatile player on the team. He could defend three positions. He could also slash to the basket, make an open jump shot, rebound, and was essentially the team's backup point guard. The emergence of Acie Law as a capable backup to Mike Bibby has filled in the ball handling void left by Childress, and Maurice Evans has been able to handle the other jobs that Childress handled so well.

Another tough decision that the Hawks had to deal with during the off-season was the status of lame-duck head coach Mike Woodson. People all around Atlanta have been calling for Woodson’s head for the last couple of years, but I have not been one of them. If you watch the Hawks as much as I do (I watch about 75 of the 82 regular seasons game each year) and know anything about basketball, you would know that Woodson was not the problem. He simply inherited the youngest team in the NBA, which also happened to be a franchise that was allergic to point guards. Just look at what happened as the young team began to mature and they traded for a legit point guard. For all of those who have been calling for his head, I think it’s time for you to question your own basketball IQ. He has held this team together through some tough times and we are now reaping the rewards of his hard work. He not only led this team to the playoffs last year for the first time since the 1998 – 1999 season, but he also took the eventual NBA champion Boston Celtics to game seven in their first round playoff series.

Although I am a Hawks fan, I am not delusional. I don’t expect this team to win the NBA championship this season, or even to make the NBA Finals. However, I do expect them to win the Southeast Division and to win a playoff series. This team is truly a treat to watch because they are incredibly athletic and exciting. It’s too bad that they don’t get to play on national TV regularly (a topic that I will discuss at a later date), because people who do not live in Atlanta truly deserve the opportunity to watch this team in action. Now that they have an identity, which is predicated on defense and a run-in-gun style offense, the sky is the limit.

REMEMBER THE DATE, DECEMBER 10TH. CIRCLE IT ON YOUR CALENDARS AND BE SURE TO BE SAFELY SECURED ON THE HAWKS BANDWAGON BY THAT DATE! IF YOU’RE NOT ON BY THEN, WE WILL BE LEAVING THE STATION AND HEADING TOWARD THE PLAYOFFS WITHOUT YOU!!!!

I would be remised if I didn’t mention the historic event that took place on Tuesday night around 11pm. BARACK OBAMA WAS ELECTED THE 44th PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. HE IS THE 1st AFRICAN AMERICAN TO EVER BE ELECTED TO THE NATIONS HIGHEST OFFICE!!!! America has spoken and decided that it is time for things to change. America as a whole is facing some very tough times on several fronts and, as a member of my favorite rap group once said, Something’s Gotta Give. If you don’t believe me, just ask him. Go ahead and tell them Big Boi….



As you know, I have been urging people to get out and vote each week on this blog. I would like to personally thank everyone who cast his or her vote in this election. No matter how you voted, it is important that you let you voice be heard. You should feel proud.

I would also like to urge all of the people reading this that voted for the first time, to continue to vote and not let this be your first and only time.

10 comments:

O'Keith said...

i choose to allow this train to depart without my presence...i was a loyal fan during the "Human Highlight" era, and i dare not reopen the wounds of a devastated Hawks fan of the 80's....when the Hawks organization told "Nique" that his services were no longer needed, i abandoned any and all future efforts of the Hawks....besides, Danny Manning is probably the only one still laughing....so, when the train departs i'm not going to hop the rail and catch a ride w/o paying my fare.....those of you who have remained loyal, are the only one's in my "opie" that deserve the 1st class seats when the mothership lands in the NBA Finals....it will bring a smile to my face, but i choose not to be a bandwagon jumper even though i was a former supporter....hell, i say bring back Jacque Vaughn....ESPN was so delighted w/ his skills that they dedicated an episode to his inability to do anything right....KEEBO

Scott said...

You know I'm on board. I have TWO dates circled on my calendar: January 28th and March 4th. That is when my Hawks visit NYC to take on the Knicks. I've already got my tickets in hand.

I do, however have to take some exception to your picking of December 10th as the day for everyone to be on board. You forget two very important points:

1. The first half of the NBA season is MEANINGLESS. Any regular season that drags on this long where more than half the teams make the playoffs has very little weight regarding the final outcome of the season. Do you think in May that anyone is going to be referring to the Orlando-Atlanta game that was played in October? NO!!!

2. It is football season. 'Nuff said.

Unknown said...

The year was actually 1994 when the Hawks traded Nique for Danny Manning. Are you good at holding grudges or what!?!? I don't understand how something that happened when you were 12 years old impacts your current fandom. We're 14+ years removed from that. Time to move on. I swear there is something in the water of this city that makes people think its "cool" to not be a fan of the home team. I just don't get the self hate most Atlantans have for themselves.

Carlos, I applaud your LOYALTY to the Hawks. That's how you should feel for all Atlanta teams (Thrashers excluded because hockey is dumb), including the Braves who are making a run at Jake Peavy so don't tell me "they're not trying." If watching the NBA wasn't as boring as watching paint dry, I'd be a bigger fan myself. However, the Atlanta Hawks have been, continue to be, and will always be my favorite NBA team. Spud Webb isn't my favorite basketbally player of all time for nothing.

Dirty Birds win again! Yall all saw it. I don't need to rub it in to all Aints fans reading the blog. Watching this team is so refreshing. It's like drinking an ice cold Coca-Cola on a hot summer day in Atlanta.

Northside Marty is sick with a cold and is signing off. Good night, 504!

STRAIGHT CASH HOMEY!!!! said...

In response to the comment from o'keith....

I too feel your pain about the the Danny Manning trade. That is by far the dumbest trade in NBA history. As a matter of fact I have mentioned that and all of the stupid decisions that the Hawks have made in previous blog entries.

However, I have been a fan of this new group of Hawks since they drafted Josh Smith and started the rebuilding process. Simply because, THEY ARE EXCITING TO WATCH! They may have lost a lot of games over the past four years, but I have enjoyed watching them. Like I said in the blog, I watch about 75 games a year. As the self-appointed president of the unofficial Hawks fan club, I will enjoy my front row seat on the playoff bound train.

Although I did enjoy reading your comment, you really brought my spirits down by not only reminding me of the Jaque Vaughn era (which my couselor worked so hard to help me forget), but also the episode of Sportscenter that he so infamously starred in. HE ABSOLUTELY SUCKED!!!!

Thanks for the comment. I hope to hear from you regularly.

STRAIGHT CASH HOMEY!!!! said...

In response to the comment from scott....

As a person from Atlanta, I am truly disappointed in you. You know that any four game winning streak by the Hawks no matter when it happens during the season is a big deal. Also, you know that for a franchise that went almost ten years between playoff appearances in a league where more than half the teams make the playoffs, starting the season on a winning streak is tremendously important.

Although it is early in the season, you must remember that this early in the season, everyone is playing hard. Also keep in mind that although the season drags on forever, each win or each loss (no matter when they take place) count for one win or one loss towards a team record that determines if they make the playoffs. ALL WINS ARE TREATED EQUALLY, NO MATTER WHEN THEY OCCUR!

Also December 10th is the perfect cut off because you must jump aboard before you can completely see how the season will go. You can't jump on with 10 games left or in the playoffs. As the self-appointed president of the unofficial Hawks fan club, I will not allow it.

Unknown said...

As someone who was forcibly dragged onto the Hawks bandwagon a couple years ago I would like to say that I am ecstatic and extremely proud of this 5-0 start they have gotten off to. I am also incensed at how their success is being ignored both nationally and here in Atlanta. Not only do we get no love on ESPN, but we can't even get a decent mention in our local news. All I heard this morning was about the Falcon's win over New Orleans like everyone totally missed that the Hawks won their fifth game in a row last night. Though football is a bigger sport in the south, when was the last time that the Hawks started a season off like this? It is a BIG DEAL!

Scott said...

Carlos,
I think you misinterpreted my point. I agree that all wins matter and that a 4 (now 5) game winning streak is a big deal for the Hawks.

What I am trying to say is that I don't blame people for flat out ignoring basketball until February. Yes, the W/L column matters, but you don't watch an Atlanta-Orlando game to see how well the players match up thinking how it is going to affect the playoffs the same way you do, say, a Week 2 Eagles-Cowboys contest this year or an early Colts-Patriots match up in any of the past 4-5 years.

Bottom line, if someone says they are on board with the Hawks, but don't plan to watch any games until February, then I honestly wouldn't blame them.

STRAIGHT CASH HOMEY!!!! said...

In response to the comment from martin....

Unlike you, I am not a blind homer. I enjoy watching teams that make an effort to win. For example, I gained a lot of respect for Thomas Dimitroff when he tried to sign Tony Gonzalez. Even though the Falcons didn't get him, they showed me that they are trying to win. Although they have fallen on hard times recently, this year the Falcons have tried to address their weak spots each year.

I also have a lot of respect for the New York Yankees. People give the Yankees a lot of flack for spending so much money, but they clearly address their needs each year. They are a franchise that reinvests in the team. Remember that their pitching was weak this year, so you better believe they will have a top notch starter by opening day. My money is that it will be C.C.

As for the Braves, going after one pitcher (even if they get him) is not going to be enough to get me back. They lost me when they were in desperate need of a right-fielder and decided to sign a washed-up Raul Mondesi and an equally washed-up Brian Jordan to platoon at the position instead of signing a real right fielder. You must also remember when Julio Franco was splitting time at first base at 132 years old. If you have a guy that old sharing time at a position, that means that the person you have there just isn't good enough. Also remember that they gave away Mark Texierra for a pair of tube socks. That is not a team trying to win. I am done with them.

Last season the Hawks finally got a legit point guard, and look what happened in the playoffs and so far this season.

My goal for you is to eventually teach you to look at a franchise and determine if they are trying to win or if they are simply putting people out there to play a game and hope that people give them their money.

Don't get me wrong, it is great to support your home team. I for one always want my home teams to do well. I don't consider myself a fan of all of them, but I do want them to do well. However, I can also recognize when a team is actually trying if they deserve my loyalty. Remember loyalty is a two way street. Teams also have to be loyal to their fans.

Unknown said...

Yeah, you're right. Going after 1 pitcher doesn't make sense. No franchise would want Peavy, Hudson, and Jurrjens anchoring their pitching staff. What a terrible rotation!

Unknown said...

Oh yeah...you said: "Last season the Hawks finally got a legit point guard, and look what happened in the playoffs and so far this season."

The most obvious draft pick in ATL sports history was Chris Paul. Well, at least we got Marvin Williams. And you say the Braves aren't trying. Tsk tsk.