Saturday, January 15, 2011

PLAYOFF PREDICTIONS (WEEK 2)

Last week my record was 2-2, which is not bad. It isn’t necessarily good either. I was David Garrard, who is in my opinion the very definition of an average NFL quarterback. Good enough to keep his team from replacing him, but not good enough to ever really win anything. This is a new week, and this week I will elevate my game from David Garrard to Aaron Rodgers. That being said, I present to you my picks for the second round of the NFL playoffs.

My message to you is the same as it was last week, for those of you who aren’t scared, feel free to post your picks in the comments section of this blog.

Best Rivalry in the NFL (Ravens at Steelers) – I say it every time that they meet and it still applies, the team with the most people alive at the end of four quarters will win this football game. For those who love defensive football (not bad offensive football, but really good defensive football), THIS IS THE GAME FOR YOU! Nothing will be cheap. Every yard will be hard fought, and the hits will be vicious. These are two teams that play the game with bad intentions, which is what I love to see. That being said, this will be a tremendously low scoring game that will be decided on the final possession. These teams are so evenly matched, that one turnover will decide who goes on to face the (SPOILER ALERT!) Patriots in the AFC Championship Game and who comes over to my house and watches it with me. This game will also feature to two sure-fire Hall of Fame safeties, one of which will make a big play at some point during this game. I am picking the Ravens to win this game for one simple reason, their defensive line is better than Pittsburgh’s offensive line. This game will be decided in the trenches, and I don’t believe that Pittsburgh has an answer for Haloti Ngata and Terrance Cody, otherwise known as the 700 lbs. of beef that happen to be the defensive tackles for the Ravens.

My Prediction: Ravens 10Steelers 6


Foot in Mouth Bowl (Jets at Patriots) – This title can apply to both Rex Ryan (if you don’t know what I am referring to, look it up) or Antonio Cromartie. Cromartie had a lot to say about Tom Brady this week. I commend his brashness and confidence. I just hope for the sake of ALL of his kids watching at home that he can back up those words. Although Cromartie is an excellent corner in his own right, he plays opposite Darrelle Revis, which means that he will see plenty of action coming in his direction. Let me re-phrase that: He will have plenty of opportunities to make Brady look bad. You can also read that sentence as: He will have plenty of opportunities for Brady to make him look like a fool. Although this game will be closer that the 45 – 3 beat down the Patriots gave the Jets in Week 13, I really don’t expect this one to be very competitive.

My Prediction: Patriots 30 – Jets 14


The Joyride is Over (Seahawks at Bears) – Ok, I along with everyone else in the free world got the SeahawksSaints game wrong last week. Thanks to the best single run I have ever seen in my entire life (by Marshawn Lynch, see video below), and a terrible effort by the unit that allegedly plays defense for the Saints, the Seahawks were able to pull off the huge upset. That being said, the Bears defense will be slightly better that the Saints defense (by slightly better, I mean the difference between Michael Jordan and Craig Ehlo). I know that the Seahawks beat the Bears in Chicago earlier this season, but that was a totally different Bears team. Once again, I am counting the Seahawks out by picking the Bears to win big and I dare them to prove me wrong again.

My Prediction: Bears 23Seahawks 7






Game of the Week (Packers at Falcons) – The Ravens and Steelers may be the best rivalry in the NFL, but this will be the best matchup of the weekend. This will be a beautiful game to watch. You have two high-flying offenses that can light up the scoreboard going head to head in perfect football weather, 72 degrees with no chance of precipitation. The Packers have already played a thriller against the Falcons at the Georgia Dome this season. In that game Atlanta narrowly escaped with a three point victory. However, I do not see that being the case this week. As I stated last week, the winner of Eagles – Packers game will be the NFC representative in the Super Bowl. The Packers won that game, therefore (SPOILER ALERT!) I will be picking them throughout the NFC playoffs. Aaron Rodgers is an absolute baller, and he will be too good to be denied on Saturday night.

My Prediction: Packers 28 – Falcons 24

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, Carlos. I'm a woman who doesn't know ahole heck of alot about the intricacies of football. Well, I was a cheerleader at one point in my life so I know when there is a fourth down and when someone makes a touchdown -- you know the basics. But I must say that this is good stuff of any woman who may need to impress some dudes during game day. You know throw some "Straight Cash Homey" in there face. Thanks for making your commentary simple and exciting enough for the average female to go into the weekend like she knows a little something. Now I'm looking forward to the match ups like I've never been interested before! Peace - MoMo (STRAIGHT CASH HOMEY BABY)!

Scott said...

First, the picks:

Steelers
Falcons
Bears
Patriots

Second, not only was the Marshawn Lynch run one of the greatest in its own right, when you put it in the context of a key moment in the playoffs when it sealed the deal and secured the victory, it becomes larger than life.

Anonymous said...

Hey, excuse my errors (rushing)....don't hold it against a girl that she doesn't know much about fooball and she can't get her grammar together either -- ha! Just keep you eye on my footbal rhetoric -lol.

Unknown said...

Mrs. Straight Cash Homey is going with:

Steelers
Bears
Packers, and
Patriots

I was also two for two last week, but I smelling a four for four this week. :)

Unknown said...

Northside Marty is here and ready to get on that Northside Drive down to that Dirty Dome to watch those Dirty Birds do something Dirty to the Pack!

Who cares about the picks? Wes Welker just gave one of the best interviews of all time!!!! Check it out: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/14/wes-welker-press-conference-video_n_809219.html

Also, for those of you who grew up on Nintendo, check out this version of the Marshawn Lynch run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieMlSNXMR2M.

And I'm GONE!

Unknown said...

One word: FALCONS!!!