Sunday, January 25, 2009

IT'S ABOUT TIME

Everyone who knows me personally or who reads this blog regularly has probably figured out one thing about me. I AM NOT AFRAID TO HAVE AN OPINION, OR TO TAKE RISKS AND MAKE BOLD STATEMENTS!!!! Personally, I think playing both sides of an issue for fear of being wrong is WEAK! As far as the bold statements that I often make goes, you win some and you lose some. Fortunately, I can say that I am right WAAAYYYYY more than I am wrong. By any estimation, I am usually right about 90% of the time (I will make another BOLD statement when I announce my scrub of the week). However, there is one prediction that I have made for five straight years, and have been wrong for four of those five years. That is until now! Since the start of the 2004 NFL Season, I have picked the Arizona Cardinals to win the NFC West. As most of you know, the Cardinals were kind enough to make me look like an idiot for four straight seasons. I wasn’t going to let the fact that they have been terrible since the beginning of time deter me from my beliefs, so once again when I made my pre-season picks for this seasons, I picked the Arizona Cardinals to win the NFC West for the fifth consecutive year. I am proud to say that this year, I don’t look like an idiot because they finally did it. Not only did they win the NFC West, they are now in the SUPER BOWL!!!! They might have let me down in the past, but when they finally came through, THEY REALLY CAME THROUGH!!!!

That’s right boys and girls, the ARIZONA CARDINALS ARE IN THE SUPER BOWL! Take a minute and let that sink in. No one, and I mean no one outside of their locker room believed that this would ever happen (and truthfully, I'm not even sure about everyone in that locker room). Like I said, I picked them to win the division, but making the Super Bowl never entered my mind. If I were a betting man, I would have surely bet that the Chicago Cubs would win a World Series before this happens. Everyone is surprised because they ARE the Cardinals. You know, the NFL franchise that everyone associates with being losers. Prior to this year, they have been battling with the Detroit Lions for the title of MOST PATHETIC FRANCHISE IN NFL HISTORY (that competition is clearly over, Detroit has that title all to themselves). However, if you take a close look at their roster, they certainly have enough talent to be where they are today. They have a 92 year old quarterback who must be drinking from Bobby Boucher’s magic water bottle, because he is playing like he did in St. Louis (Brett Favre has to be jealous). He may be old enough to remember when Astro-Turf was cutting edge technology, but we can’t forget that he is a future Hall of Famer and has made two previous Super Bowl appearances (with one win) and is a two-time NFL MVP. He is definitely a baller. It doesn’t hurt that his starting receivers are two of the best in the game today. Anquan Boldin is GREAT and Larry Fitzgerald is well LARRY FITZGERALD(I can’t think of an adjective that would do him justice). To make the situation even more ridiculous, their third receiver (who is essentially a starter, since they use a lot of three receiver sets), Steve Breaston, also had over 1,000 yards receiving this season. And people wonder why Larry Fitzgerald doesn’t see more double and triple team coverage. They have 3 RECEIVERS THAT WENT OVER 1,000 YARDS! YOU CAN’T DOUBLE ANYONE! Also, just in case you stop paying attention and decide not to defend the run, they have Edgerrin James (#11 on the all-time career rushing list) in the backfield. Just to keep you honest.

That’s just the offense. The defense is just as star-studded. They have a tremendous secondary, which is lead by Adrian Wilson (the most underrated defensive player in the NFL). Next to him is Antrel Rolle, who is also a baller. Roderick Hood is a good corner, and the rookie on the other side of him is just spectacular. I am referring to Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (DRC). Darnell Docket and Karlos Dansby lead a front seven that has been playing out of their minds since the start of the playoffs.

To tell you the truth, I really can’t put my finger on why they suddenly put it all together and played to their talent level. Could it be the power of the dread-locks? Don’t just dismiss that theory. Edgerrin James, Larry Fitzgerald, Darnell Dockett, and Tim Hightower (back-up running back) have all played great and they all have dreadlocks. Or, could it be the fact that they play in the coolest stadium in all of sports (they have a retractable field, which allows them to play on natural grass inside of a dome). Could the reason for their success be Matt Leinart’s superb clipboard holding skills (he does wear that baseball cap well). Maybe it’s the uniforms. They are the second best in the NFL (behind the Atlanta Falcons).

I think I know what it is. It’s great no non-sense coaching from Ken Whisenhunt and his staff, combined with the determination of a team that is tired of letting STRAIGHT CASH HOMEY!!!! down. Therefore, they are playing to their potential and enjoying the fruits of all of their hard work. The scary thing is that this is a relatively young team. The only key players whose best days aren’t ahead of them are Warner, James, and defensive end Bertrand Berry. This team has tasted success, and I think they like it. Obviously Warner is nearing the end of his Hall of Fame career (he probably has two years left), so if Matt Leinart or Quarterback to be Drafted Later can pick up where he leaves off, the sky is the limit.

ENJOY THE SUPER BOWL! GO CARDINALS!



AND NOW FOR MY BALLER & SCRUB OF THE WEEK!

BALLER: BARACK OBAMA (United States of America) - Was there any doubt? I know that he isn't an athlete, coach, or front office executive, but any African-American who can become PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA is definitely qualified to be my BALLER OF THE WEEK! (please check out the end of this entry)

SCRUB: Mel Kiper Jr. (ESPN) - I know that this is an unusual choice for SCRUB OF THE WEEK, but in my mind he deserves it this week. First of all, I am a HUGE MEL KIPER JR. FAN and I truly believe that he is the best draft prognosticator in the business (a business that he invented). However, I must take issue with his initial Mock Draft for 2009. He has the Kansas City Chiefs taking USC Quarterback Mark Sanchez with the third pick in the draft. Are you kidding me? If any team takes Sanchez that high in this draft, they will live to regret it. I know that teams are impressed with the performances of Matt Ryan and Joe Flaco in their rookie seasons, but they should not expect the same from Sanchez. I just don't see what he is seeing (I will detail all of the flaws in his game as we get closer to the draft). True enough he was a good college player on a great team, but that doesn't always transfer well to the NFL. Don't get me wrong, he is not the next Alex Smith (he isn't that bad). But if he lives up to his potential, he should end up being about as good as Joey Harrington. The Chiefs just hired Scott Pioli as their new General Manager and he is no idiot. He was Bill Belichick's right hand man in New England and he is also the son-in-law of Bill Parcell. That should pretty much tell you that he won't be doing anything stupid in the draft. I trust that he knows better than handcuffing his team by selecting a terrible quarterback with the third pick of the draft. My congratulations to Sanchez if he get's drafted that high. If that happens sit back and count your STRAIGHT CASH HOMEY!!!! and hope that you don't have to get of the field any time soon.

NOW FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE BEEN LIVING UNDER A ROCK, TAKE THE TIME TO WATCH THE VIDEO CLIP BELOW AND EXPERIENCE THE MOST IMPORTANT EVENT TO EVER OCCUR IN MY LIFETIME!


1 comment:

Pharoah Goolsby said...

The Cardinals will lose the Super Bowl. Once again, the Cardinals will lose the Super Bowl. First off, I agree that they have been playing great football in the playoffs and have had the ability to play this way all season, but their head coach and offensive coordinator are decent at best. You just now decide to use Edgerrin. Yeah, they have a poor line, but they can set up their run with their pass. I could run (as a coach) the Arizona offense. Each position is loaded with talent offensively. QB - Kurt Warner RB - James, Hightower WR - AnquAn(not Anquon)Boldin, Fitzgerald TE - Leonard Pope(UGA). (Warner has been blessed with awesome offenses and when he didn't have them we didn't hear from him.)

That said, Pittsburgh will crush Arizona's offense...literally. When Fitzgerald jumps up for a pass, Pittsburgh will not play the ball, they will try to take his head off. Kurt Warner will be sacked and he will turn over the ball atleast twice. Let's not forget that Whisenhunt was passed up for Tomlin because he didn't fit the mold. I believe Tomlin is the better coach and it will show in the Super Bowl.

Pittsburgh is too strong defensively. Harrsion, Polomalu, Woodley, Smith, Hampton, etc. coming full speed is going to be a nightmare for AZ.

On another note, I don't know how in the world James only got 133(3.9ypc) carries to Hightower's 143(2.8ypc). He's still the better back. Sure Hightower is the stronger runner, but Edge sniffs out the hole. The coaches shouldn't get any of the credit for James' performance, it should be noted that armed with Fitzgerald & Boldin they couldn't get their running game going due to bad coaching. Something's up with that coaching staff and I hope Edge and AnquAn get out of there ASAP.