Monday, May 25, 2009

I’M BACK & HE’S HOME

Your eyes are not deceiving you; this is actually a new post from STRAIGHT CASH HOMEY!!!! I know that I have been away for almost two months, but they have been a very productive two months. Since I’ve been away, I have finished another semester of my MBA program (the last month of the semester was very tough, which was the predominant cause of the break). My beautiful wife also surprised me with a trip to Las Vegas to celebrate our second year of marriage (That's right, I married a sports fan who took me to Vegas, JACKPOT!), and I have also been traveling for work. Now I’m back and ready to resume work on STRAIGHT CASH HOMEY!!!! My course load for the summer is lighter than that of a normal semester, so hopefully, I will not have a long school induced break.

It must be a good week for sports fans because I am back and Michael Vick is back at home. This is a story that is near and dear to my heart. I am a huge Michael Vick fan and can’t wait to see him on the football field again. I am not going to take the time to get up on my soapbox about how ridiculous it is that Vick spent time in federal prison for dog fighting, while Leonard Little killed a person while driving drunk and only missed eight games, and while Dan Heatley formerly of the Atlanta Thrashers killed his teammate Dan Snyder in an auto accident while driving like a mad man, never served any prison time. I guess the American Justice System is telling us that the lives of dogs are more valuable than the lives of people. But like I said, I am not going to discuss this now. The fact of the matter is that Vick has been released, and should be reinstated into the NFL in time for the upcoming season if Commissioner Judge, Jury, and Executioner decides that he has served his debt to society.

I must admit, I have found some of the commentary about Michael Vick’s football future absolutely hilarious. There are some people who think that he will only be able to sign for the league minimum (somewhere between $500,000 and $800,000 for someone with his years of service in the league) once he is reinstated, due to the perceived baggage that he will take along with him to a new team. That is an absolute joke. He will receive a multi-million dollar contract simply because more than one team will be in the running for his services and the price will most certainly be driven up through sheer competition.

The other comment that I hear concerning Vick that I think is hilarious, is that he will never be able to play quarterback in the NFL again and that he will have to switch positions. If you want to know why I find this comment funny, simply click on the video below.



This clown is not only still in the NFL, he just received a new free-agent contract. So if he can play quarterback in the NFL, someone please tell me why Michael Vick can't.

Vick will be back in the NFL and he will be a quarterback. I am even willing to say that he will be a starter before the 2009 season is over. I know for a fact that he will not be welcomed back by the Atlanta Falcons. He totally screwed up his chance here and they have found their new quarterback in Matt Ryan. Arthur Blank and company have every right to move on with their lives without Michael Vick. I am guessing that one of the following teams will sign him (no inside information, just my gut feeling):

San Francisco 49er’s – They have a head coach with a strong personality in Mike Singletary and they don’t have a quarterback. He will be able to handle the media scrutiny. This would be a great fit. They also have Michael Crabtree, which would make for better Mike & Mike show than the one that comes on ESPN Radio in the mornings (in my opinion, that show is terrible).

Miami Dolphins – Bill Parcells was able to keep Lawrence Taylor as in check as a cocaine-using linebacker can be. Therefore the Michael Vick drama should be a piece of cake.

Oakland Raiders – Al Davis (need I say more)

Carolina Panthers – They need a quarterback more than they will ever admit (JAKE DELHOMME IS DONE!). They also have a strong running game and a good defense. They could play ball control offense with Vick, DeAngelo Williams, and Jonathan Stewart and really let Steve Smith do what he does best on the outside. Vick will make them a favorite to make the Super Bowl.

Arizona Cardinals – Vick can get in shape and work on his throwing as Warner finishes his career. They will need a quarterback soon because Matt Leinart simply is not the answer.

Tennessee Titans – They drafted the imitation, why not sign the real thing. Vick is what they thought they were getting in Vince Young. Also, Kerry Collins is near the end.

There are those who believe that Vick will reunite with Jim Mora Jr. and Greg Knapp in Seattle, but I don’t think that will or should happen. I know that Hasselbeck is done, but Vick is not the answer there.

I can’t wait to see Vick back on the field.

AND NOW FOR MY BALLER & SCRUB OF THE WEEK!

BALLER: The Orlando Magic & Denver Nuggets - You share this honor because you have showed up and played your butts off in the Eastern & Western Conference Finals respectively. The good people at Nike & Vitamin Water have all but written you off. This is obvious because they have been running Kobe v/s LeBron commercials since the playoffs began. In their eyes, you are nothing but a stepping stone. As a fan of the NBA and an even bigger fan of competitive games, I want to thank you for making both the conference finals an actual competitive series. You both have a legit chance of making it to the finals and you are proving to everyone that you aren't going to simply be "Witnesses" to the advertisers dream come true. (For the record, I am pulling for Cleveland & Denver).

(On a somewhat related topic, I noticed that Kobe is referred to as the Black Mamba in some of those commercials. Does anyone really call him that? I have never heard anyone call him that, and I think it is a stupid nickname. Also, who gave him that name. I hope he didn't give it to himself. Doesn't he know that you can't give yourself a nickname. Then it isn't a nickname, it's simply you wishing that you were someone else.)

SCRUB: NBA Commissioner David Stern - You get this honor for allowing companies to run ads basically foreshadowing a finals matchup BEFORE THE FINALS. You have already had a referee get convicted for fixing games, and many casual fans also believe that some games have been fixed in the past. (We aren't even going to get into the alleged frozen envelope during the 1985 draft lottery.) So if one or both of the conference finals go to a seventh game and Cleveland and/or LA win in a close game or on a questionable call, you are really going to open yourself up to criticism for fixing the finals for advertising dollars. Allowing these ads to run before the finals is really stupid, and for that you are my SCRUB OF THE WEEK.

Now for a totally non-sports related topic:

I am 27 years old, and a child of hip-hop music. Not the junk you hear on the radio today, I am referring to the music of rap's golden era, the 1990's. There are a few rappers that I listen to today. Among them are Outkast, Jay Z, TI, Lupe Fiasco, Talib Kweli, Lil Wayne and Mos Def, just to name a few. However, I must say that there hasn't been any new talent worth listening to in quite a while. That is until now. For those who appreciate good rap music and is disgusted by the junk that is on the radio today, I recommend that you check out a new artist (as Ghetto Mafia would say) that is Straight from the DEC (Decatur GA). He goes by the name of B.O.B. He is the real deal and the future of hip hop. But don't take my word for it, simply click on the link below.




10 comments:

Scott said...

Let me be the first to welcome STRAIGHT CASH HOMEY!!!! back to the Interwebs. We missed you during the NFL draft and the bulk of the NBA playoffs, but better late than never.

While I am glad the Falcons have found their future in Matt Ryan, I can't wait for Vick to return. I will watch him every chance I get no matter which team he plays for. I think what he did was pretty sick, but I agree that the punishment was much worse than the crime. Either way, he is still the most exciting player in the game.

I too am pulling for a Lebron-Carmello finals, simply because I think Carmello got shafted by not being rookie of the year.

Unknown said...

JACKPOT!!! Indeed. How did you ever get so lucky?

Unknown said...

You forgot to mention Patrick Kerney and his rape case--did you even hear about that? Don't worry, most people didn't. And how about Ray Lewis? Vick will be back, and he will play better than ever. Let's face it, in the words of Dave Chapelle concerning Kobe Bryant, "he's playing for his freedom." I hope he winds up playing for either the Redskins or Carolina. The Redskins will be a good fit because that is where I currently reside. I know, selfish. I will purchase season tickets if he is picked up by Dan Snyder. Hell, Dan Snyder should be immune from costly risks, Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, and DeAngelo Hall (28 mil guaranteed my foot). Carolina would be the best fit because of their weapons. They have an army, but there general is currently under the weather. I think he acquired the "swine" flu from ineffective play with the pigskin. David Stern is a cheat--there's nothing more to say.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
STRAIGHT CASH HOMEY!!!! said...

In response to the comment from Scott....

It's GREAT to be back. The last month or so of this semester was especially tough. Life is all about priorities & sacrafices. This MBA thing better really pay off because it demands a lot of work, time, and money.

There is no need to comment on your thoughts about Vick, because we are on the same page.

As for the NBA Finals, it looks like Cleveland has quite the uphill battle after going down 3 to 1. But if anyone can come back from that deficit, it is LeBron James. I'm a big fan of his, but I wouldn't bet any money on them getting out of this series.

Also, you are right the about Rookie of the Year. Carmelo definitely got shafted, much like Stan Van Gundy did in Miami once Pat Riley realized that they could win a championship. Carmelo averaged more points and rebounds than LeBron during their rookie year. His team also won eight more games and made the playoffs. I know that LeBron turned out to be the better player (although Carmelo is great), but he did not deserve that award. It is the Rookie of the Year Award, not the "We Think That You Are Going To Have A Great Career Award."

STRAIGHT CASH HOMEY!!!! said...

In response to the comment from Jamila....

I don't know how I got so lucky, but I'm sure glad that I did.

STRAIGHT CASH HOMEY!!!! said...

In response to the comment from Carl....

We both know that Ray Lewis didn't kill anyone. So does the Fulton County DA Paul Howard (Dwight Howard's uncle by the way). Which is why they ended up charging him with Obstruction of Justice.

That being said, I don't think that the Redskins will sign Vick, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Dan Snyder is the new Al Davis, so nothing that he does will surprise me. Vick would certainly fit there, but for some reason, I just don't see it happening.

I still think that San Francisco, Carolina, and Miami are the best spots.

Just take a minute and imagine Vick in Carolina. It would almost be unfair. If I'm the Panthers, I sign him today (before he is even reinstated and begins to talk to other teams). Because, as you so eloquently stated JAKE IS DONE! (by the way very clever pigskin analogy).

On your last thought. There are many people that feel the same way that you do about David Stern, which is why he is my "SCRUB OF THE WEEK." He should know better, especially after the Tim Donaghy scandal.

STRAIGHT CASH HOMEY!!!! said...

In response to the comment from Martin....

Love the intro, but I gotta delete you (for several reasons).

First of all, you are COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC!!!! The topic was about Mike Vick and his release. There was even a Baller & Scrub of the week for you to comment on, but you went WAAAAYYYY LEFT!!!! I value eveyones diverse opinions, ON THE TOPIC THAT IS BEING DISCUSSED!!!!

Secondly, when you went off topic, you went to Soccer. Now, I know that it is the world's biggest sport, and I really enjoy the World Cup, but the only time that soccer will be discussed on STRAIGHT CASH HOMEY!!!! is during the world cup. I don't mean during a World Cup year, I mean during the actual games. Soccer posts will only be tolerated while the game is actually being played.

No disrespect to soccer, but it is simply not my cup of tea. There is simply not enough room for it on this blog.

Thirdly, you are over 25 and admitted to relying on the Durty Boyz Boyz on Hot 107.9 (in Atlanta) for your hop-hop. That in itself gets you deleted.

So next time come correct!!!!

-Holla

Unknown said...

It's not my fault that 99% of Americans don't have the mental capacity to understand The Beautiful Game.

PS - I just called in the Durty Boyz show to let Straight Cash Homey go...Straight Cash Homey, you've been LET GO!

STRAIGHT CASH HOMEY!!!! said...

In response to the comment (that did not get deleted) from Martin....

I understand soccer very well, but it simply gets no love on STRAIGHT CASH HOMEY!!!!

Also, I can't believe that as a grown man that you not only called the Durty Boyz show, but are announcing it to the world on this blog. Shame on you, and please no more Durty Boyz shout outs, that is a deletable offense.