Sunday, July 13, 2008

IT ALL STARTS WITH THE QUARTERBACK

The countdown to the beginning of the NFL season has officially begun. In exactly 53 days the New York Giants and the Washington Redskins will kick off the NFL regular season, which is by far my favorite time of the year. There are those people whose favorite season is Winter, some like Spring, others like Summer, and many people like Fall. But me, I prefer FOOTBALL SEASON!!!!

All of the recent news coverage of Brett Favre’s latest cry for attention got me thinking about NFL Quarterbacks. The quarterback position is by far the most important position in the NFL and arguably in all of sports. I decided to have a little fun and rank all 32 starting NFL quarterbacks. This would allow me to look at each of them against their contemporaries and decide exactly how they measure up to one another.

To make it even more interesting, I decided to rank the quarterbacks without looking up any of their statistics or win – loss records (any statistics mentioned are those that I knew without having to look them up). I am simply looking at what I have seen with my own eyes and what I predict will happen in the future (I also ranked the rookie QB's that I thought would be a starter at some point this season. Also, I didn’t rank them according to who I thought would have the best 2008 season. I simply asked myself one simple question, which was, “If I was starting a team today, who would I want under center?”

Without further ado, my rankings are as follows….

1. Peyton Manning (Colts) – Simply the best in the game and will probably be considered the best ever when his career is over. If his career ended tomorrow, he would already be a Hall of Famer. He will hold every major QB record and have another Super Bowl victory or two before it is all said and done.

2. Tom Brady (Patriots) – People usually debate whether he or Manning is number one. That used to be a valid argument before we discovered his extensive DVD collection of opposing defenses. How many championships would he have won without his “extra” film study? We will never know, but the 2007 season (supposedly without the aid of any illegal tapes) proved that you can’t drop him below number two.

3. Carson Palmer (Bengals) – I like to call him the “PROTOTYPE”. This guy is the most fundamentally sound quarterback in the NFL. He has perfect footwork, a perfect release, perfect form, a rocket arm, and is the ideal size of an NFL quarterback (6’5” 230lbs.). He should be the example in all of the QB training videos used to teach kids to play quarterback. Along with all of that, he can make all of the throws with ease and accuracy. If his team ever gets a defense, he will certainly win a Super Bowl before it’s all over.

4. Donovan McNabb (Eagles) – I know that he is not exactly an Iron Man and he gives his backup a chance to play virtually every year, but I still rank him as the fourth best QB in the league. He is the perfect blend of the run and pass option at quarterback. He has had a potential Hall of Fame career although he has played only one full season with an elite receiver.

5. Tony Romo (Cowboys) – You gotta love the fact that he loves all of the perks that come with being the QB of the Dallas Cowboys. It’s funny I don’t remember him having all of these celebrity girlfriends when he was backing up Quincy Carter. Things really have changed quickly. On the football field he has all of the tools to move up to the level of the four players ranked ahead of him. He is a very confident player who is only going to get better. If he stays focused on football, he will be a Hall of Famer.

6. Philip Rivers (Chargers) – Better than Ben Roethlisberger and Eli Manning (who were both drafted the same year) although they both have Super Bowl Rings. Also, is tough as nails and lays it all on the line.

7. David Garrard (Jaguars) – Some people would feel that this is too high for Garrard. I don’t, and this is my list so I can do what I want to. He has the most important trait that I look for in a quarterback. He does not throw interceptions. He didn’t throw his first interception until well into the second half of last season. I would take him over ANY of the players ranked below him in a heartbeat.

8. Ben Roethlisberger (Steelers) – It has become obvious that he sold his soul to the devil to win the Super Bowl. He had a string of bad luck following that game, but has bounced back nicely. Personally I am not a big fan, but I must give credit where credit is due.

9. Matt Hasselbeck (Seahawks)

10. Eli Manning (Giants) – Would have never put him in the top ten before the Giants’ playoff run. It’s possible that they finally got electricity in Mayberry and someone has turned the light on for Gomer Pyle.

11. Drew Brees (Saints) – Quite possibly the best pre-season QB of his era, but needs to be consistent in the regular season when the games count. He is not a bad QB, but he isn’t as good as his 2006 season (that was a total aberration).

12. Derrick Anderson (Browns) – I will be the first to admit that I was wrong in thinking that the Browns would be horrible in 2007. They would have indeed been horrible if they had never given Derrick Anderson a chance. Just think Charlie Frye opened last season as the starter. What were they thinking?

13. Marc Bulger (Rams)

14. Jay Cutler (Broncos)

15. Jon Kitna (Lions)

16. Matt Schaub (Texans) – Why couldn’t Michael Vick get indicted before he was traded? The Federal Justice System has no love for the Atlanta Falcons.

17. Jeff Garcia (Buccaneers) – Graduated High School with Dikembe Mutombo, but is still playing at a high level. I can’t figure out what makes him so good, but he has proven that he still has it.

18. Jason Campbell (Redskins)

19. Trent Edwards (Bills)

20. Josh McCown (Dolphins) – The best quarterback to never get a fair shot to start. Hopefully he gets that In Miami.

21. Vince Young (Titans) – Great athlete, not a very good quarterback. He has a lot of work to do to become a decent quarterback. His passing ability makes Michael Vick look like Dan Marino. It’s his athleticism that keeps him on the field.

22. Aaron Rodgers (Packers) – Has been placed in a horrible situation. Not only is he following a legend, but the Packers also drafted two quarterbacks in the draft.

23. JaMarcus Russell (Raiders) – Has the potential to be what we all thought Daunte Culpepper would be. He has a rocket arm and is surprisingly athletic for a guy his size. The only problem is that he plays for the most dysfunctional organization in football, so there is a good chance that he will never reach his full potential.

24. Matt Leinart (Cardinals)

25. Tavaris Jackson (Vikings) – Don’t laugh when you read this, but I think this kid has all the tools to be the next Donovan McNabb. He is mobile and has a good arm. He simply needs to work on his accuracy, which can be improved through hard work and coaching. Truthfully, if he can simply not fumble the snap, hand the ball safely to Adrian Peterson and complete 10 – 12 passes a game (with minimal interceptions), the Vikings will win the division. As I mentioned, they have Adrian Peterson and their defense will be the best in the NFL this year.

26. Jake Delhomme (Panthers) – He’s done. Only ranked this high because the players below him have not shown anything as of yet.

27. Kellen Clemons (Jets) – Not very good and will never be very good. Trust me the Jets will be acquiring another quarterback within the next two years.

28. Matt Ryan (Falcons) – Is believed by some to be a can’t miss quarterback. I am not one of those people. I think that he will be good enough to make you feel like you don’t need to draft a quarterback for the next 6 to 8 years, but not good enough to win big. He will have a solid career and a terrible 2008 season playing behind a terrible offensive line in Atlanta. His college coach said it correctly by saying that he is the next Matt Hasselbeck. He will be better than the average quarterback at the peak of his career. By the way, he also makes more money than Tom Brady,
GO FIGURE!!!!

29. Joe Flaco (Ravens)

30. Rex Grossman (Bears) – He isn’t the typical Steve Sprurier system-quarterback that can’t play in the NFL. He has all of the tools and is capable of being a legit NFL starter, but there is one thing holding him back. He is about as smart as Homer Simpson. Can’t you hear him saying D’oh!!!! After every interception. He must have some compromising pictures of Bears coach Lovie Smith and other members of the front office. That is the only way to explain them re-signing him after his dreadful play. (Note to Rex: If you are in a quarterback competition with Kyle Orton, you aren’t any good.)

31. Alex Smith (49ers) – I called him a bust on draft day 2005 and it looks like I was right. THERE IS NO WAY THAT A SYSTEM QUARTERBACK FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF UTAH SHOULD EVER BE SELECTED #1 IN THE DRAFT. He is absolutely horrible and has no chance of getting any better. He will be someone’s backup when the 2009 season begins and will be out of the league in the next three years (he will only last that long because he was a former #1 pick). Either way it goes, he will definitely cost Coach Mike Nolan (the coach that drafted him) his job in the very near future.

32. Brodie Croyle – Was there ever any doubt who would be #32. This guy is the worst NFL quarterback I have seen since Cade McNown and Akili Smith. He is yet to win a game in the NFL, and quite frankly I’m not sure if he ever will. With Chan Gailey as the Offensive Coordinator, don’t be surprised if Reggie Ball surfaces on their depth chart. The scary thing about that is that Reggie Ball would be an upgrade. But fear not Chiefs fans, HE IS SIMPLY KEEPING THE SEAT WARM UNTIL MICHAEL VICK IS REINSTATED!!!! That’s right, you read it here first, MICHAEL VICK WILL BE A CHIEF.

Remember these rankings were done without the use of any stats. I compiled this list as if I were having a debate with friends or in a barbershop, using only common knowledge and what I have seen with my own eyes. If there are any players that you feel are ranked incorrectly, please comment and let me know.

NOTE: Brett Favre was not included in my rankings because I don’t think that he is coming back and there is NO ROOM FOR A DIVA ON MY LIST!!!!

****Also****
I would like to thank my wife for helping me to compile this list. To all of the guys out there who are not married to a sports fan, DON'T HATE!!!!

3 comments:

Pharoah Goolsby said...

Got to disagree with number 1. It's Tom Brady. Yeah, after the scandal things seem dismal, but this guy is a true leader. Peyton is a first class diva. You could put him up there with Brett before he was finally GIVEN the Super Bowl. That's right, I said it. After that Troy Polamalu incident, it's been hard to give him credit. Why do you think Ben got crucified the next season? Anyway, Peyton's a great quarterback, but has no heart vs. Tom Brady. Very ancy vs. Tom Brady. He wines instead of getting passionate. His nerves are everywhere vs. Tom. So, Tom is number 1 in my book. Next, Donovan McNabb is 2-3. I've seen this guy throw 4 touchdowns with a broken ankle. Name one of his recievers? Don't worry I'll wait. Exactly, you give him Carson Palmer's recievers and don't tell me the Bengals/Eagles wouldn't be better. I mean he has no help and how long has he been in Philly? Who has Philly put around him? Greg Lewis, Todd Pinkston, James Thrash and the list doesn't go on. T.O. wouldn't be a good mesh, because Andy Ried can't take care of his own kids how was he gonna deal with him. So, if you haven't noticed McNabb is easy 2 or 3. Next. Phillip Rivers is not better than Ben Roethislberger. Ben can dodge, dip, duck, dive, & dodge. Phillip has the heart of a lion, but he's not that great. Drew Brees is still a better quarterback than Phillip, hell, Matt Hasselback is better than Phillip right now. Phillip will get better, but he's not even better than Marc Bulger, who is extremely underrated. I don't know how you could put Phillip in the top 5. Put it this way, him and Jay Cutler are on the same page. Also, Vince Young is too low on your board. His will alone gets it done. He looks flicted throwing the ball, but he'll be 10times better than he was last year. They made the mistake of putting him in the same division as Peyton. So he's aiming high. On another note, Mike Vick was awesome. Look what he did behind a horrible line. He was so good Atlanta thought they had a good line. That's how good he was. Now name one of his recievers? Don't worry I'll wait. I didn't say tight end. And talking about tight ends, how good was Alge without Vick? I think he paid dearly for Mike's folly. I agree with the Tavares statement that boy is going to be good if he's studying the game and not everything else that comes with it. Oh yeah, you asked before if Steve McNair should go to the Hall Fame, name one of his recievers. Don't worry I'll wait. Not Frank Wycheck, that's a tight end.

STRAIGHT CASH HOMEY!!!! said...

In response to the comment by phoroah goolsby....

The Manning v/s Brady argument is one that we can have for days, but in the end we will agree that they are both great and that you can't go wrong with either one under center. I am not anti-Brady, I mean, I did put him at number 2. But remember the Great Tom Brady has had a coach in his ear who knew the defensive plays, that could tell him where to go with the ball.

The McNabb v/s Palmer argument is valid. I struggled with that one and I think that they are interchangable at 3 & 4. It is true that McNabb has done a lot more with a lot less but remember that Palmer has to score 35 to 40 points to HAVE A CHANCE of winning. Personally, I like Carson's mechanics and think that everything in his game is perfect, but as I stated in the entry, McNabb is PERFECT COMBINATION OF THE RUN & PASS THREAT AT QB. As for Rivers, watch him play. The guy is as good as I said he is, and I am going to pretend that you didn't say that Hasselbeck is better than Rivers. In my eyes there is no comparison. I also agree that Marc Bulger is underrated by some, but he is properly rated on my list. Due to injuries, he has basically been a one year wonder, although we can clearly see that the talent is there.

While reading your comment, it was obvious to me that you are a guy that clearly knows football. That was my initial thought until you said that Vince Young is good. YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!! Before I go any further on Young, I will let you evaluate some of his games and come to your senses. Because we are friends I forgive you for your momentary lapse in judgement.

All in all, I respect your opinions because you know your stuff and the points that you made are valid. BUT GET BACK TO ME ON VINCE YOUNG, NO HURRY, I'LL WAIT.

Pharoah Goolsby said...

Okay. Vince Young wins games. He just does. He runs great, he makes good decisions, and he's a great leader (his passing needs alot of work). He will get better. He wins. If you can make my team go 10-6 with a rookie running back, in a defensive division with a no named offense then you're a pretty BAD(good)dude. Yes, I know they have GREAT defense...